Dear School Community, the following events will take place in the next few weeks: 20.10.2018 Teachers Training Between 23.10. – 07.11.2018 Arts and Crafts children with parents event in the kindergarten 28. + 29.10.2018 Project days – “10 Years DIS Doha” 30.10. – 01.11.2018 Fall Break 11.11.2018 Lantern parade kindergarten 12.11.2018 Lantern parade primary school […]
DaF-concept for Kindergarten and Preschool at the German International School of Doha
A language is not just words. It’s a culture, a tradition, a unification of a community, a whole history that creates what a community is. It’s all embodied in a language. Noam Chomsky (1928, linguist and social critic)
The support-classes, German as a foreign language(DaF), are designed for children who need language-based support by acquiring the German language.
The language classes take place in small groups, which are classified/divided by age and language-level:
Grade 1 – Beginners
Grade 2 – Intermediates
Grade 3 – Advanced
- The arrangement of the children result from a language-screening test.
- The language development test is conducted twice a year to monitor the child’s development. If needed, parents will be invited to a meeting.
Content of classes
- The content of the classes is defined by an annual plan, which is followed by all Kindergarten groups. Each group deals with the same topic at the same time, guaranteeing that all of the children are acquiring the same vocabulary simultaneously.
- By experiencing the language in cognitive, emotional and motor-driven fields, the vocabulary stabilizes quicker and is therefore saved in the long-term memory of the brain.
- The classes follow a structured curriculum, which is tailored to particular needs of language learning scenarios for each level.
- Close coordination between primary school and KG2 is obligatory to ensure that all children are meeting the expected vocabulary requirements of the primary class teachers.
- Information about current projects and topics are provided on the notice board in the Kindergarten.
- Furthermore, letters will be sent and appointments for meetings will be offered.
- If speech-correction problems occur, assistance will be obtained to find a suitable speech therapist.
- Recommendations for books, movies or summer camps are available for the parents.
Ambition and goals
The goal of DaF-classes is to enable an educational future in German school system. After spending three years in the German kindergarten, DaF-classes state if the child is ready to move to primary school. Regular participation of the child in the DaF- classes is an important requirement to ensure the child’s path to primary years.
How you can support your child
- Develop a daily routine conversation with your child about his/her day in Kindergarten. Show interest, for the child to open up and practices free speech.
- Use your first language -even if it’s not German. The structure of your language will help in learning the structures of further foreign languages.
- Show interest in the new language. Ask for words, watch movies or hear songs together and let your child be the teacher.
- Learning a new language will take an average of three years; therefore, please be patient and do not pressure your child as it may cause a negative impact.
- The longer the language is practiced, the sooner it will be transferred to long-term-memory. If you have the possibility, go to Germany to visit your relatives or participate in a Summer Camp.
This post is also available in: German